Friday, January 2, 2009

Weights are heavy

Back in my youth, I used to be in really good shape. I was a gym rat - even trained people (though I was never officially certified). In fact, when I went to college I started going into Exercise Kinesiology - but realized there wasn't much money in that field and changed my major. The reason why I tell you that is because my body used to be in great shape. And, because of that, it was easier for my body to change, because muscles never leave, they just atrophy and get hidden behind fat. So, once my body started remembering how it used to be, it changed at a much faster rate.

But, even if you've never been in shape, this lifestyle WILL work for you. It just may take a little more time. Don't have that discourage you because once you get started and feel your body change, you will look forward to following the lifestyle even more.

So, let's talk about working out. I hadn't stepped foot in a gym in about 4 years. And, 4 years ago, I only stepped in briefly to say hi to the weights. They didn't remember me, so I moved on. This time, when I came back, I came back slowly. I started by walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, 3 times a week, at a 3.5 setting. That is SLOW, but I was so out of shape, it was the best I could do. About 3 weeks in, I started lifting again. And, YES, it was embarrassing at first. I was in a Gold's Gym lifting itty bitty weights, while these humongous guys were using my weights to warm their grandma's up before their real workout. But, within a few weeks, my strength gains started coming. A few weeks after that, I was seeing little bumps that could almost be called muscles. And, within a few months, I was seeing changes in my body on a daily basis. Yes, they were tiny and only I could notice them, but they were happening regularly.

Here's how I did it:
Day 1 (Chest)
3 sets of Incline Dumbbell presses - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of Flat bench (I use a Hammer Strength Machine) - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of Wide Grip Presses (Hammer Strength) - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of Reverse Grip Dumbbell Presses (optional) - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
Treadmill for 20 minutes

Day 2 (Biceps/Triceps)
3 sets of seated dumbbell curls - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of preacher curls - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of hammer curls - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
5 sets of cable push-downs - 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of dumbbell kickbacks - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of French Presses (skull crushers) - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps

Day 3 (Back/Delts)
6 sets of 1 arm rows with varying grips (Hammer Strength Machine - my favorite) - 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of lat pull-downs - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of cable rows - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of overhead dumbbell presses - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of bent over dumbbell raises - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of lateral dumbbell raises - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
Treadmill for 20 minutes

Day 4 (Legs - this is actually physical therapy for me from getting hit by a car, so I'll post what I WOULD do, if I wasn't doing that)
5 sets of leg presses - 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of stiff legged deadlifts - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
3 sets of leg extensions - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
5 sets of calf raises - 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps

Day 5 - REST!!!

Then, repeat from Day 1.

Obviously you'll change it up after a month or so. I now do 15 sets for chest, 12 sets for biceps, 15 for triceps, 16 for back, 12 for delts, and eventually I'll do about 20 for legs. Also, every other day I do crunches. I don't know how many, because I don't count. I do a set until I can't do another crunch, then I'll rest a minute and do another. I probably do 8 sets every other day.

You shouldn't start with this routine if you're not familiar with the exercises. You also don't have to start with as many sets as listed above. Listen to your body at first. Then, once you start getting in shape, you can tell your body to listen to you. : )

Feel free to Email me with any questions. They may even lead me to blog topics! bnessel1973@gmail.com

Remember, you CAN do this. It's a state of mind, just like choosing to be unfit is a state of mind. Once you focus your mind, you can do anything!

Thanks for readin'!

1 comment:

  1. hey brian! its great to see you writting now! its a nice way to express new ideas too, a little abandoned by people because of the whole youtube thing, but great aswell. Keep the great work dude! im becoming less of me this year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete