Thursday, January 1, 2009

Creating less of me

So I created this blog to share how I lost 80 pounds in about 6 months. I think I'll end up posting different things about my workouts or how I made it through the holidays, but the first thing I'll post is my diet.

I hate the word "diet" because of the connotation of the word. I didn't diet, I changed how I ate. And hopefully I'll stick with that change for the rest of my life, because it really isn't that difficult.

My diet was to lose weight, while building muscle, so it is higher in protein and natural sugars than some people would need or want. But I wanted my energy to sustain me through a pretty intense workout in the afternoon.

Here it is, a sample day:

Meal 1 (6:30a.m.) - 8 egg whites, 1 egg yolk scrambled with baby spinach. Squirt on about 2 tablespoons of ketchup. 1 banana. Total Calories: 350

Meal 2 (9:00a.m.) - 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup raisins. Total Calories: 280

Meal 3 (11:30a.m.) - Salad with Romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup walnut/raisin mix, and 2 tablespoons of Cardetti Raspberry Pomegranate Vinaigrette. Total Calories: 300

Meal 4 (2:00p.m.) - Fresh Fruit. Total Calories: 175

Meal 5 (5:00p.m.) - Grilled Chicken Salad with 1 chicken breast, romaine lettuce, 1/4 cup walnuts/raisins, and Vinaigrette. Total Calories: 420

Meal 6 (7:00p.m.) - Fresh Fruit. Total Calories: 175 (Only ate this meal if I was hungry)

Total Calories in the day: 1,700 calories.

Soon I will post my weekly workout routine, as well as how my diet changed when I wanted to build more muscle.

Try this diet for a week and see how you feel. I promise that in a short amount of time you won't feel hungry during the day, and you'll see a big difference in your energy.

Thanks for readin'.

4 comments:

  1. One of my resolutions is to lose weight, as with new years of the past. This year, I decided to try a plan of eating that's sort-of but not really radical for me. It ends up being not too dissimilar from yours (minus the chicken). I gave myself a "month to month lease" on it, 'cause I knew if I tried to commit to a whole year I'd fail, but I need a time frame.

    Check your email in a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having some difficulty trying to diet for sometime now, and took up running a short while back but have been knocked outof it by really bad flu...that been said my diet is something of an issue.
    I'm going to try this...the difference in you is impressive! :)

    Take Care Brian and may you and your family have a happy new year!
    John Paul
    JippersinCornwall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I wonder how to make your food measurements for someone like me. 8 egg white would be a lot! Weight is less of an issue for me then muscle development. Do you have any solid strength workouts to suggest? You look grewat no matter, but I'm happy you feel better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome blog Brian! My diet has always been different over the years, like I no longer eat an sugar or dairy. This past holiday was tough for the no sugar part..because sugar is EVERYWHERE!! And we do a lot of baking around the holidays, so it was tough! But I think this is such a cool thing to do, motivate people to get into shape and to eat healthier. I also agree about the word DIET, anything with the word DIE in it, I want no part of!

    ReplyDelete