Monday, January 12, 2009

Facing Triggers

Though it's an ongoing journey, I've met many of my weight loss goals - in fact I've gone a little too far. My goal was 180. Today I weighed myself and was 166, which is actually up a bit from a week ago. So now my goal is to get to 180 by adding muscle.

I thought reaching my goal would change my life. In some ways it has - I feel physically better than I have in 10 years, I feel better about my appearance, and I know I've made a choice that will keep me around longer for my family. But I've discovered that my life, and the things I've been running from, haven't changed. And until I face those demons I have the potential to go back to the old lifestyle where food was a comfort, and avoidance tool, and a medication.

We all have our own issues, our own demons if you will. Mine is grief. I don't deal with it - I guess I don't grieve well. Eating was my way to grieve - or more of a way to avoid facing my grief. My weight became a buffer for the heartbreak I was feeling. Being the funny fat guy is much easier than being the grieving father. Now being the "guy-who-lost-a-bunch-of-weight" has become my identity - but I'm still the grieving father.

All of this came as a realization to me today when I looked at my son's picture and felt all the emotions I've been trying to run from for 2 years. My first reaction was to go eat - and I damn near got in the car and went to McDonald's. But I didn't. Instead I decided it's time to add a new goal to my lifestyle - learn how to experience emotions.

I write this because we all have triggers. I thought I could run from mine, but I see I won't be able to forever. So I guess it's time to address the trigger, face it, and learn how to live with it. I'll be a better father, and a healthier one, if I can.

2 comments:

  1. Great post today Brian! Those triggers end up doing most of us in so it's something we all need to be aware of. Hope your week is good! -Jim

    One friendly suggestion: People using the Firefox browser on a Mac cannot comment with this setup. It's a glitch that I've been dealing with and I'm sure lots of your readers use Macs. If you go into settings and click on the comment tab and the select "full page" under comment form placement section, everyone including Firefox Mac users will be able to comment without problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of sounding glib, I wonder if it's possible to substitute a bad compulsive behavior with a good one -- insofar as there are good compulsions.

    And what might a good compulsive behavior be, anyway: cleaning your room? Flossing? They have none of the enticements of good food, dammit . . .

    Once again, you and your wife have my sympathy and admiration.

    - Bill (YouTube pal)

    ReplyDelete